Every week, you’ll find on our blog class notes and a summary video from our Wednesday and Sunday tango group classes.
These video and notes are meant to help our students remember what they’ve done in class.
Beginners/Improvers: Changes of height & speed
- Leaders: To lead the change of speed, you need to gently lift your partner the step before you change speed. Changes of speed go well on 3&4 and 7&8, so at the end of musical phrases.
- Followers: Make sure you shorten your steps when you go faster and lengthen them when you go slower.
Intermediates & up: Changes of speed & lane
- Leaders: The easiest version is to speed up whilst in the central lane.
- Followers: Don’t forget to dissociate towards your partner to keep the connection.
Intermediates & up: Cadencia
- Both: For the cadencia, take small diagonal steps forward and backward. Try and collect between each step – even if you can’t touch, try and have the intention of brushing your feet together.
Intermediates & up: Slow rebound with change of height
- Leaders: Make sure your torso stays still as you go up and down – don’t allow your torso to bend forward or backwards as you might lose your balance. To create the “wave” feeling, you need to allow your axis to go all the way forward as you step forward.
- Followers: Don’t forget to push out of this step.
- Both: Practice the change of lane and speed together – it is harder than it looks, but it truly is a musical and playful little step that can come in handy on many orchestras.