Every week, you’ll find on our blog class notes and a summary video from our Wednesday and Sunday tango group classes.
These video and notes are meant to help our students remember what they’ve done in class.
Check our previous class on the ocho cortado, on May 20.
Beginners & Improvers: “Mini” ocho cortado
- To lead the cross, you need to create a void in front of you by transferring your weight slightly back.
- At the side step, you should be facing the leader completely.
- For the cross, first pivot your torso, then the foot of your supporting leg, and last your free leg, to cross forward. At the cross, you should be back facing your partner, not at a 90 degree angle with him.
- As you cross, immediately transfer your weight to the front leg but wait for the lead to exit the cross.
- Try and pay attention to the lines, and either keep the foot of the free leg completely pointed or if you want to add an adornment, completely flexed.
Improvers: Ocho cortado with entrada
- As you lead the side step, you can quickly do an entrada and position your foot in between the follower’s. Be quick!
- There’s nothing special for followers to do, it’s an adornment for the leader!
Intermediates: Ocho cortado with arrastre
- To do the arrastre, you need to quickly reposition your right foot next to the follower’s. Be careful with the timing and positioning or she might step on your toes!
- As for all arrastres, coordinate your lead from the torso and your foot or it will not work.
- Push the follower’s foot into the cross but not all the way. It’s difficult for you to judge where is her supporting leg and you wouldn’t want to push her foot all the way and make her stab herself! It’s a small arrastre.
- For followers, this is not very different, we should only feel that his foot is pushing ours into the cross.
Intermediates: Ocho cortado with enganche (wrap)
- Instead of doing only an entrada and removing your foot, now transfer your weight onto the right leg. Bend your knee a bit and twist your leg forward to create space for the follower’s enganche (wrap).
- For the enganche, you should feel that your leg is being “trapped” behind the leader. Point your foot and allow your leg to wrap around his. At the end, exit nicely, keeping contact with his leg and bring your feet back to neutral.
See you soon on the dancefloor,
Nati y Bruno