Tango Factbites – Beginner Series
Want to join a milonga but are afraid of tango faux-pas? Read on, there’s only a few things you need to know before hitting the dancefloor and having a great time. Most things are just common sense, really! And if you feel you’ve not exactly put your best foot forward, a smile and an apology usually goes a long way.
The dancefloor is for dancing only.
- Crossing the dancefloor
- Chatting on the dancefloor
- Drinking on the dancefloor
- Teaching steps
The cortina is for inviting only.
(The cortina is the short non-tango musical interlude between sets of 3 or 4 tango songs)
- Boogie woogie
The milonga is for everyone to have fun.
- Invite a partner courteously.
- Accept or decline an invitation with a smile.
- Stay with your partner until the end of the song.
- Be kind to your partner and avoid giving unwanted feedback.
- Gentlemen, make your partner swoon: accompany her back to her seat after dancing.