Every week, you’ll find on our blog class notes and a summary video from our Wednesday Improver / Intermediate tango group class, our Thursday beginner tango group class and our weekend milonga group classes.
These video and notes are meant to help our students remember what they’ve done in class.
Corte and anguchito (sandwich)
- To lead the corte, the follower’s first move, you need to “invade” your partner’s space, by going slightly forward diagonally after leading the pivot.
- At the sandwich, try and close your heels to create a nice-looking, tidy sandwich.
- At the quebrada, make sure you tuck one knee behind the other. Hold your heel up, and then lower your heel to make the follower move forward and sandwich your foot. When going down, make sure your knees stay together and don’t come apart.
- Pivot with your partner to close the sandwich.
- When doing the corte, first get your knees one behind the other, with your heel up, and gradually transfer your weight by using your ankle joint. Try not to collapse suddenly. In the corte, your weight should be completely on your back leg and the front leg should be straight and free.
- After the leader sandwiches your foot, don’t move until you feel he’s “calling you forward”. Then, make sure you sandwich his foot too, before going over. Your heels and knees should be together, weight should be on the left leg.
- When going over his foot, first point your foot, and lift your leg keeping your knee away from him (for modesty, style and safety!). When stepping, make sure you step close to him.
Sandwich on the leader’s right side
- You can lead the sandwich on the right side too, but because of the embrace, the move will be smaller.
- Same as on the left side, but with the other leg.
Swapping from side to side
- To make the follower swap side, lead a pivot, a corte. To exit the corte, lift a bit and come back to neutral so that your partner faces you. Then, open your torso to the other side to make the follower step and lead the corte to this side.
- At any point, you can stop and do a sanguchito.
- Make sure to pass by neutral position with the feet together in between corte moves.
See you soon on the dancefloor,
Nati y Bruno