Every week, you’ll find on our blog class notes and a summary video from our Wednesday Improver / Intermediate tango group class, our Thursday beginner tango group class and our weekend milonga group classes.
These video and notes are meant to help our students remember what they’ve done in class.
Arrastre after small pivot of the follower
- To enter into the step, the leader needs to lead a side step and extend his leg so that his foot touches the foot of the follower’s supporting leg. Contact should be at the toes. When stepping to the side, the leader should position his foot at a 90 degree angle to prepare for the next step.
- After leading the follower to make a 90 degree pivot, the leader pivots on his left leg. Both partners have changed direction and face one another.
- For the arrastre, the leader needs to sweep using his quads, and not his adductors. First, it looks nicer. Second, it is a more stable position. Third, it’s possible to reach further in this position.
- At the beginning of the arrastre, the leg that sweeps is straight, it then bends during the arrastre before extending fully at the end.
- At the beginning of the step, the weight should be 100% on the left leg to leave the right leg free for the arrastre.
- During the arrastre, followers need to exert a gentle pressure with their foot against the leader’s foot. This will help them understand how far to extend the leg. During the arrastre, the foot should stay in contact at all times with the leader’s foot.
- At the beginning of the arrastre, the leg is straight, it then bends and extends as far as the leader’s leg extends. Avoid keeping the leg straight during the whole arrastre move, as it looks a bit like Frankenstein! 🙂
Arrastre with pivot followed by face-to-face arrastre
- The embrace should be more relaxed and open, to allow enough space for the legs to do the arrastre.
- In this second arrastre, both partners face one another, and the sweep comes more from the adductors.
- Maintain the alignment with the leader and face him.
Repeated arrastres in a circle
- The leader should lead the follower into a corte-like position and then pivot his hips to face her.
- The sweep is led with the quad muscles (as in the first arrastre).
- Make sure to pass by neutral position with the feet together in between arrastre moves.
See you soon on the dancefloor,
Nati y Bruno