Every week, you’ll find on our blog class notes and a summary video from our Wednesday and Sunday tango group classes.
These video and notes are meant to help our students remember what they’ve done in class.
Beginners/Improvers: Basic sanguchito (sandwich)
- Leaders: At the corte, make sure you release the embrace to give your partner some space. Try and make a nice “sandwich” with your heels together and your toes to her toes, not beyond.
- Followers: Try and keep your knees together in the corte, with the front leg straight and the back leg bent.
Beginners/Improvers: Lift from sanguchito
- Leaders: Use your step and pivot to lead the lift, not the force of the arms.
- Followers: In the lift, keep the position of the corte and use your ankle to go up and down.
Intermediates & up: Back cross sandwich for the leader and follower
- Leaders: To create the back cross sandwich for the follower, you need to “remove” the wrong foot and go backwards in a diagonal. This will create the energy and the lead for her to cross backwards around your remaining foot.
- Followers: Be open minded! Try and cross neatly, keeping the big toe of the back leg on the floor and uncross with your knee away from him.
Intermediates & up: Sandwich “factory”
- Leaders: To lead repeat sandwiches, you need to block your partner as she goes over your foot, before she collects her feet, using the grounding technique.
- Followers: Make sure you always pass by the middle when you step, e.g. with weight on two feet otherwise this step will be impossible to lead.
- Together: Practice leading and following the sandwich, using the ankle of your back leg to create a nice smooth move.