Every week, you’ll find on our blog class notes and a summary video from our Wednesday and Sunday tango group classes.
These video and notes are meant to help our students remember what they’ve done in class.
This month, we are looking at steps inspired by old school milongueros, these couples who danced during the Golden Age of tango and who paved the way. We are encouraging you strongly to watch videos of each of these couples on Youtube. The steps we are showing in class are inspired by these old school milongueros, but if you want to have a better idea of their own individual style, musicality, elegance, you’ll need to watch their videos. We’ll be posting quite a few videos on our blog too, so come back often!
Beginners & improvers: Flat giro
- Leaders: You need to lead every stage of this step, by either dissociating one way or the other to create the forward and the backward steps or by keeping your shoulders straight to indicate the side steps.
- Leaders: Try and move smoothly with the free leg moving without interruption.
Intermediates & up: Flat giro for the leader in a square
- Leaders: In this step, you need to use lower body interaction, where you keep your torso towards your partner as much as possible at the same time as you move your hips one way and the other.
- Followers: Keep your torso dissociated to your partner and move as smoothly as possible.
Intermediates & up: Small giro and half cortado
- Leaders: To lead the cross/uncross, you need to lift your partner to prevent her from transferring her weight.
- Followers: The first half of this step is a mini giro in front of your partner as opposed to around him.
- Beginners: Practice the changes of move for the flat giro individually.
- Intermediates: Leaders – Practice the footwork for the giro around the follower. Followers – practice the cross / uncross.